Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Latest News Naij

Britain stated on Thursday that its exit from the European Union would deliver little or no or no change in its bilateral relationship with Nigeria.

The British Excessive Commissioner to Nigeria, Mr Paul Arkwright, stated this in his public lecture delivered on the Federal College, Lokoja.

According to the British envoy, what occurs in Nigeria and the alternatives made by the Nigerian authorities can be extra vital for the financial system than no matter BREXIT might imply for Nigeria.

"I am optimistic for the United Kingdom and I'm optimistic for Nigeria,’’ he mentioned.

Arkwright stated oil and gasoline weren't Nigeria’s most vital useful resource however its folks.

"The human capital that Nigeria has – Nigerians themselves and their drive, dedication and capability to get issues carried out typically when dealing with appreciable challenges – are what make me optimistic about Nigeria’s future," he mentioned.

The envoy stated BREXIT wouldn't in any manner affect negatively on Nigeria and Britain’s historic and cultural hyperlinks, the frequent language of English and the sturdy academic and enterprise hyperlinks.

"If something, I see our connection turning into stronger; the United Kingdom is of course seeking to develop its market share, to encourage extra companies to return to Nigeria and to take a position and to encourage extra inward funding into the United Kingdom from Nigeria," Arkwright stated.

He mentioned that ninety per cent of pupil visas and 70 per cent of different classes of visas have been granted to Nigerians in 2015.

The Excessive Commissioner expressed hope that BREXIT would imply extra British travellers visiting Nigeria for a similar causes that Nigerians come to the United Kingdom.

"I need individuals to return and discover the enterprise alternatives that Nigeria affords. We expect there are roughly 20,000 British and twin nationals residing in Nigeria now.

"That determine could, and that i hope it can, develop as British companies of all sizes are inspired to look outward nonetheless additional, to export and do enterprise, creating jobs in Nigeria," he defined.

Arkwright urged the Nigerian authorities to make the technique of getting visas simpler to facilitate trade of products and companies between the 2 nations.

"More Britons will come to Nigeria if it was less complicated to use for and the method for getting a visa was faster.

He expressed help for the continued efforts by the federal government to diversify the nation’s financial system, saying that the nation may not rely solely on oil.

The British Excessive Commissioner urged the federal authorities to take the anti-corruption struggle past arresting and prosecuting offenders and work extra on altering the perspective and thoughts-set of Nigerians.

He pledged the assist of the British authorities for the anti-corruption struggle, saying that Britain would certainly return to the federal government, funds and property acquired with stolen funds from Nigeria.

Earlier, Prof. Angela Freeman-Miri, Vice Chancellor, Federal College, Lokoja, thanked the Excessive Commissioner for selecting the college to ship the lecture titled, "BREXIT: Classes, Challenges and Opportunities’’.